The reason why cupcakes are so popular nowadays is that it is also quite easy to consume with no leftovers. Besides, one can control the amount of cupcakes you consume unlike cakes where there are always leftovers in the fridge. To make it easier for the beginner cook, here are just a few important guidelines to bear in mind. Just follow these few simple rules as a guide on how to make cupcakes that will save you a lot of time in the kitchen. You can actually make cupcakes a day in advance and store these in the fridge to preserve their freshness.
Organization Is the Key
As with any preparation of dishes in the kitchen, organization is always the key. Assemble your ingredients and utensils you will need beforehand. That way, you won’t waste time going around in circles, scurrying back and forth in your kitchen searching for the baking pans and mixers you will need.
- Try to use the best ingredients. The imitation flavored vanilla or butter in your mixture makes a huge difference in taste and not only will you notice the difference in taste but most especially your guests. Use the high quality stuff that you can buy because after all, it is all about taste.
- Use ingredients at room temperature because it spells the difference between a smooth batter versus a clumpy one.
- Always remember that baking is an exact science. When a recipe calls for 1/2 cup, then follow it. Do not deviate from the required measurement.
- To ensure your batter is blended properly, put the mixer on low speed for starters until they are just blended. Never leave the mixer to blend on its own – keep a watch on it.
- Use a scoop to fill the cupcake paper cups so that they will be distributed and baked evenly. Moreover, don’t fill the muffin cups to the brim because the batter will overflow. Allow a space of about an inch on the tops.
- Always preheat the oven. This basic rule can’t be overemphasized because it’s a no-no to put the cupcakes before the oven is heated.
- Resist opening and closing the oven door to see if they are done. A rush of cool air will spell the difference between an underdone cupcake.
- Allow the cupcakes time to cool in their trays before you transfer them to a wire rack. When cooled completely, you can now add frosting to the tops because when they are hot, the frosting will melt.
A Few Tips on Using the Right Equipment
A wise cook’s rule of thumb is always use and invest in the best equipment available. This will mean better results in your baking and will last for years. It’s not a great idea to be buying cooking pans every year just because the old ones were damaged or burned. Don’t substitute cooking utensils. If the recipe tells you to use a baking pan or tray, then do so. You’ll be glad you did. Most of the recipes in cookbooks have been tested and tried in kitchens before they were ever put out for you to make or bake. With this basic simple guide on how to make cupcakes you can be sure you will achieve the best results in baking about almost anything you can think of.
Famous Last Words on Storage
The last step in making the perfect cupcake is proper storage. Cupcakes must never be stored in an airtight container when they are fresh from the oven. This will result in soggy cupcakes with the toppings all melting down on the sides, which spell ruin for the cook. Generally, cupcakes will keep for a day especially if they have cream frosting or fruit on top in containers but be sure they are cooled completely before you store them. In addition, all you have to do is consume these cupcakes on the following day or serve to your guests that will display your baking magic. Following this simple guide on how to make cupcakes will make you into a pro and give the best baking results.