Hi all, I am so sorry for the lack of updates. Been busy with work and attending baking class on every Saturday. I will try to bake more often at home and share my recipe on my blog space. Christmas is just around the corner and it is a time for party, gathering, pot luck session and exchanging of gifts! What to bring for Christmas Pot Luck event? I will try to share some recipes that you can try baking for Christmas party or for your guest if you are holding a party at home.
This is my first attempt in baking cream puffs otherwise know as Choux Pastry. I love to eat them but do not how to bake them previously. The thought of making the puffs and the cream seem very tedious to me. After learning it at the baking school, it is not as difficult as I thought. Below is the step by step recipe of making the cream puff and pastry cream.
Pastry Cream is the combination of cream and custard.
Milk 170 grams – Group 1
Castor Sugar 40 grams – Group 1
Butter 20 grams – Group 1
Corn Flour 24 grams – Group 2
Eggs 20 grams – Group 2
Milk 30 grams – Group 2
1. Combine sugar, butter and milk in group 1 in the saucepan and heat at low medium heat.
2. Ensure that all sugar is dissolved and heat group one to boil.
3. Pour 1/2 of hot solution into group 2 and mix well to form slurry. Remove the sauce pan from heat. Pour the slurry into the sauce pan.
4. Turn on the heat to low medium and continue to stir the mixture till thicken.
Once it is thicken, remove the saucepan from the stove. Cover the custard with Parafilm to prevent skin froming when it cools down. Cool the custard to room temperature before mixing with the cream.
Whipping cream – 110 grams
Whip the cream using the electrical whisk till soft peak. Do not over whip the cream.
Fold in the cream to the custard to get the pastry cream for the choux pastry. Place the pastry cream in the fridge and only remove it from the fridge once it is ready for use.
Next i wll make the choux pastry_cream puffs.
Butter 110 grams – Group1
Water 225 grams – Group 1
All purpose flour 150 grams – Group 2
Eggs 225 grams – Group 3
1. Bring Group 1 ( Butter and Water) to boil
2. Sieve the flour
3. Once group 1 is boiling, pour all the flour into the sauce pan.
4. Stir well to prevent burning of mixture with the heat still on.
5. Stir till the mixture otherwise know as Roux do not stick to sauce pan. Remove from heat once it is ready.
6. Using the paddle attachment, beat the mixture at low speed to cool down the mixture to 45 degree celcius. Before adding egg, make sure that the mixture is cool to 45 degree celcius.
7. Once it is at 45 degree celcius or below, slowly add in the egg into the mixture and beat well.
8. The mixture is ready to be pipe. I had used the star nozzle.
Preheat the oven to 200 degree celcius. Spray water over to the choux pastry in the tray before baking for better expansion of the cream puffs. I had selected fan mode using the Rowenta oven and bake the puff for 18 – 20 mins.
It is important not to open the oven door when the choux pastry is in the midst of rising during baking. Otherwise the cream puff will collapse.
You can also make Eclairs using the above Choux Pastry Recipe. I will definitely try out Durian cream puff!
Enjoy baking and stay tune for more blog post!