I am in of using citrus fruits like orange, lemon as ingredients in my baking. I had not tried out making orange curd and hence thinking of making these citrus flavour curd to be use for tarts, swiss rolls or even macaron fillings. Not forgetting the orange curd can be use as jams to spread on the bread too.
Here is the recipe (Taken from Baking & Pastry 2nd Edition The Culinary Insitute of America):
1. Butter Cube 198.3 grams
2. Sugar 132.3 grams
3. Orange Juice 180 mL
4. Orange Zest 11.7 grams
5. Egg Yolks 170 grams
1. Combine 99.2 grams of the butter, 66.2 grams of sugar, orange juice and zest and bring to boil over medium heat. Stirring gently to dissolve the sugar.
2. Mean while blend the egg yolks with remaining of the sugar. Temper by gradually adding 1/3 of the lemon juice mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return tempered egg mixture to the saucepan. Continue cooking, strring constantly with the whisk until the mixture comes to a boil.
3. Stir in the remaining butter.
4. Strain the curd into a large shallow container or bowl. Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on surface of the curd.
5. Cool over with ice water bath.
6. Store the curd and covered under refrigeration.
Yes the muji jars that I bought recently come in useful! I had stored the orange curd into the glass jar and placed them in the fridge.Now I am left with the egg whites in the fridge and is motivated to use those egg whites to make macarons or chiffon cakes.
* Some of my friends had tried the curd and they mentioned that it is sweet. I will try to reduce the sugar and use freshly prepared orange juice instead in my next making of the orange curd. Overall we love the zesty citrus flavour and the smooth texture of the orange curd. Great for savoury tarts! Stay tune for orange curd tarts recipe.
Have fun baking! 🙂